Monthly Archives: March 2015

Pinterest Tuesday: Barefoot Sandles

Standard

Good morning, and welcome to Pinterest Tuesday!

11001756_10152616915867120_6580439573259056018_n-2Each week, I’ll be posting a project I did using one of my MANY Pinterest pins.  This week’s project was inspired by a friend’s baby shower gift – barefoot sandles from a local big box store.  They’re adorable, and so simple to make.  These are made with removable flower.  Since I don’t have a sewing machine yet, I hand stitched this set, which is a little more time consuming but also very relaxing.  I began by measuring Kianna’s foot by wrapping the ribbon around her foot arch and ankle in a figure eight.  Then I took the ribbon, reformed the figure eight and stitched the ends together as well as the intersecting section – making sure the arch loop was slightly smaller than the ankle loop.  I made the flowers out of toule, and there’s really no right or wrong way to do this part.  I took a length of toule, folded it half, and then in half again and again until I had a two inch wide rectangle, then I folded it once more so that it became a square.  I cut open all the closed ends so I was left with a pile of square pieces of toule.  Then I cut the pile into a circle, so I was left with a pile of circle toule.  I used one circle as the base.  For my first set, I then proceeded to take one piece of toule at a time, fold it in half and string it at the folded base, pushing it down my thread to the toule base – making sure to rotate each sequencing piece 45 degrees, like steps.  At the top of the flower, I simply crunched a bit of toule and sent the needle down into it back to the base.  I repeated the threading from top to bottom a few times just to make it more secure, and then trimmed as needed to create the “ball” flower look.  To finish the project, I stitched a piece of Velcro to the bottom of the flower and top of the ribbon intersection.  I used Velcro so that I would be able to change the flowers according to Kianna’s outfit.  So I can make many more flowers to wear on the one ribbon.  Once she outgrows the ribbon, I can gift that one with a set of flowers to someone, and simple make a bigger figure eight ribbon for Kianna – still being able to use all of the remaining flowers.  This will save a lot of time and money, while making others happy to receive a gift 🙂

Advertisements